registered name: Triple Copy
description: 2001 bay Thoroughbred gelding
type of rescue: owner surrender
intake date: 2/10/2011
adoption date: 9/1/2011
length of time with SAFE: 6 months

ADOPTED by Sheridan J of Monroe WA

A Happy Ending for Corona

Sheridan & Corona

Sheridan & Corona

Congratulations to Sheridan Jones who is the proud adopter of Corona!

Sheridan is an eventer with an eye for a good show ring prospect. So when she rode Corona at the 2011 SAFE Benefit Horse Show, she recognized right away that this horse was a pro. They competed in English, Dressage and Hunters, and won many ribbons. At the end of the show, Corona was crowned Champion Rescue Horse and together Sheridan and Corona were awarded the Reserve Champion award for the entire show.

After the show, Sheridan and Corona went their separate ways, but it didn’t take more than a couple days before Sheridan sent in her application to adopt the handsome gelding. Sheridan’s adoption was approved, and Corona moved to his forever home. “Corona is doing FANTASTIC!” Sheridan told us about a week later. “Took him on his second trail ride yesterday and he spent the entire time on the buckle — relaxed, happy and we had a terrific time. Love this horse and so proud of him. Thank you SAFE, and everyone involved in making sure this beautiful boy had a happy ending.”

Thank you, Sheridan! We wish you and Corona the very best!

Click here to read about Corona’s history at SAFE.

Corona Update April 23 2011

Quick update for your Easter weekend…this beautiful day I took Corona out and cleaned him up. Finally, he is growing in a much healthier-looking summer coat where he had been bald in patches. He is still clinging on to some of the more stubborn long wiry winter coat hairs but is looking better every day. The penis injury is almost completely healed now and he has gained a lot of weight. He still struggles with chronic diarrhea, despite probiotics, so we keep his tail in a tail bag (generously donated by Brooke at Custom Tailbags). Today I scrubbed his hind legs and tail, groomed him, and took some new photos. He is looking much better, isn’t he? Starting to see what a beauty he will be under all that hair!

Corona Update April 3 2011

Corona is doing well, but still not completely healed.  He remains very tolerant for his treatments, however. He is also doing something we have seen with a few starved horses, where they come in with a thick winter coat with a top layer of really long, wiry guard hairs on top.  The winter coat sheds out, but the guard hairs don’t right away, and because of a lack of nutrition or their bodies being out of whack, the summer coat doesn’t grow in right away either.  It’s an odd phenomenon, but we have seen it before and I feel confident that his summer coat will come in and the long hairs will eventually shed.  But right now, he looks pretty bad, with his long wiry hairs and bald skin visible underneath. Otherwise, he’s gaining weight well, and we wrapped his tail up as he is still having intermittent diarrhea issues.  He’s also quite a bit food aggressive, so he has to be made to back to the back of his stall before he gets his food.  He does crib as well, but not obsessively, only if there isn’t food to eat or he is feeling a bit stressed.  Otherwise, he’s very sweet and easy to handle, and extremely low on the totem pole with other horses.  In fact, we are still trying to find the right turnout partner for him, because all the horses we have tried him with were pretty mean to him and chased him.  You’d think with his size he’d have some advantage, but they sense his weakness and vulnerability.  Poor guy.

Corona Update Feb 27 2011

I was at NWESC today dropping off our two new horses and took the opportunity to get some updated photos of Corona.  He is looking so much better!  He has gained a considerable amount of weight already, his feet look much better, and his injury is looking considerably better.  His blanket wasn’t fitting well, so I found a better fitting one for him while I was there.  Here are some updated photos!  (Note: there is a penis photo included, that, while looking much better, is still graphic in nature)

Corona Update Feb 19 2011

Corona is doing great!  His bloodwork was rechecked and his muscle enzymes which had been elevated previously are now normal, allowing him to be given some bute this week which has surely made him feel more comfortable.  He continues to be a very tolerant, good boy for his twice-daily cleanings and she thinks that in another couple of weeks he will be healed enough to return to SAFE and just focus on gaining weight and improving the condition of his feet.

Corona Update Feb 13 2011

Quick update on Corona — he is doing very well, on antibiotics now and the vet reports he is very tolerant for his twice-daily chlorahexadine scrubs.  She does feel bad for him as he is probably in some amount of discomfort, but she has not felt comfortable giving him bute yet because his muscle enzymes were elevated on his bloodwork.  We are going to recheck his bloodwork tomorrow and hopefully if it looks good he can have some bute to make him feel a bit better.   Dr. Hannah spoke to the vet who saw him last week and he stated that there was not a laceration on the penis when he saw him, just swelling and infection, so they determined that the laceration was actually caused by the sutures that he put in (I’m still not sure what the purpose of the sutures was).  In any case it is a good thing Dr. Hannah decided to remove them right away.  She said overall he is doing well and because he is able to retract his penis and urinate normally he does not need to be catheterized or bandaged in any way.  His fecal results came back with only few strongyle ova so that is good news, he will get wormed normally in a week or so.  He is up to free choice hay now and they will slowly start adding some beet pulp and concentrates this week.  He’ll get his feet taken care of soon as well.  We also heard from his previous leaser that there was some type of injury to his left hind leg around 4 years ago.  The horse was stall rested for a while and then was sound after that and returned to jumping, but that he was given away (not sold) to the last owner because of the injury.  I let Dr. Hannah know about the previous injury, and once he is in better physical shape we will take a closer look at that left hind to see if there are any concerns there.

SAFE Journal — Feb 12, 2011

Another busy day at SAFE! This morning Allison, one of our volunteers and myself hauled Annie and Zanadu up to the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe where they participated in an event for the Snohomish County 4H called Equine-O-Rama. Dr. Hannah Evergreen gave a talk about her non-profit, Northwest Equine Stewardship Center, and talked about the process of rehabbing a rescue horse. I spoke a bit about SAFE and Geri Vincent from Equine Aid was also present with one of her rescue horses, Scarlett, as well as her donkey and mascot Petey.  Annie was a superstar and absolutely loved the crowd of admirers that gathered around her after the talk.  Zanadu also got a lot of attention, although she was perplexed as to why we hauled down there just to stand around and thought we really should be doing something.  She also was VERY interested in Petey!

While we were busy at Equine-o-Rama, our volunteer Abby gave a farm tour and talk for a couple of students from Bear Creek School’s Equestrian club.  Thank you Abby for handling this for us since we couldn’t be in two places at one time!

Tia seems to have settled down and is no longer agitated as long as she is in her stall, but her left eye is still bothering her quite a bit and very swollen and oozing.  She may have banged it during her bout of anxiety, or its possible she is having a uveitis flare-up.  It is also possible that her anxiety is caused by the fact that she is losing sight in her left eye as well.  For now we have held off on giving her the steriods and are hoping that she remains calm.  The good news is she couldn’t be in better hands at NWESC.

Delilah and Baxter both went on trail rides this week at the Pilchuck Tree Farm!  Both did great, Delilah was relaxed and on a loose rein and Baxter was also extremely good.  Sara was able to ride him in a lesson on Thursday, he gave her one buck at the canter but she rode him through it.  Delilah did have one mishap with her rider this week.  She doesn’t like cantering to the left much and her steering is still kind of rough, and at one point she decided to flip her leads (a clean change!) and just go right and her rider continued going left without her.  Oops!  But her rider landed on her feet and Delilah just cantered on to the right seeming not even to notice she had lost her rider.  No big deal, just get back on and back to work!

Corona is doing very well.  Dr. Hannah has spoken to the vet who saw him earlier this week and she feels like the injury is relatively minor once we get the infection under control.  We have had several people contact us that know him from his show days and received the below pictures of him.  Doesn’t he look wonderful?  We have high hopes for his adoptability once he finishes his rehabilitation and is ready for adoption.

Lastly, we have heard that the PBS story on Bucky B Lucky will air on Friday, February 18th, at 7pm.  This will be on channel 9 and in HD on channel 109.  We are hoping to set up some viewing parties for those that want to get together with other horse folks and watch it with us, so more on that soon!

Corona Update Feb 12 2011

Corona is doing very well! Dr. Hannah has spoken to the vet who saw him earlier this week and she feels like the injury will be relatively minor once we get the infection under control. 

We’ve been contacted by three people who knew Corona back when he lived in Canada, including his former owner, who had him from age 3–7, and a gal who leased him when he was 6. They lost track of him when he was sold into the US in 2008 and have been desperate to reconnect with him since then. We’ve learned that Corona showed in the jumpers up to 3′3″ and schooled up to 4′ at home. He’s a brave and willing horse who never refused a jump or spooked. His former friends speak very highly of him and are relieved to have found him again, and although they are horrified by his current condition, they are happy to know that he is in good hands.

Here are some pictures of Corona in better times that they have kindly shared with us. Doesn’t he look wonderful?

SAFE Journal — Feb 11, 2011

Yesterday was an extremely busy day at SAFE!  First of all, we have the new horse Corona who came in late yesterday afternoon.  Dr. Hannah finally got a chance to look at him last night.  She has not yet spoke to the vet who treated him previously (hopefully will do that today) but her overall impression is that it is “not too bad”, despite how bad it looks.  She was not able to get his penis out completely and did not want to sedate him because of his condition and until she spoke to the other vet.  She was puzzled about the sutures, which seem to have been put in place to keep him from dropping his penis.  She went ahead and removed them and a bunch of pus came out.  However, from what she could feel there are some lacerations but nothing horrible.  She drew bloodwork on him and wanted to check that and speak to the other vet before starting him on antibiotics (she is also concerned about the diarrhea) but is pretty optimistic on his recovery.  She also took a fecal sample and he’ll get lice-dusted today.

Before Corona came, Dr. Hannah had a busy day at the SAFE farm doing spring shots and dental floats on Annie, Dexter, and Lexi.  Lexi was a good girl and we are hoping to wrap up her adoption soon and send her on her way to her new beginning!  Dexter was good right up until the sheath cleaning.…he was not happy about that at all.  Despite sedation it took two of us handling him (one with a stud chain) and Dr. Hannah carefully staying out of firing range while she cleaned him.  He did finally settle and grumpily accept it, but he was not at all happy about it.  And Annie…well Annie lived up to her reputation for being a drama queen!  She knew something was up right away and was on high alert as soon as we took her into the stall.  Dr. Hannah decided that we’d sedate her first before we did anything else, and the first thing Annie did when we she just started cleaning her neck with antiseptic for the sedation was to rear.  Even sedated, she was not having anything of having her temperature taken and kicked the wall so hard that Dr. Hannah also decided to forgo it, seeing as how she was obviously feeling just fine. 😉  She required two more hits of sedation to get the dental float done but we got it done, with Annie glaring hatefully at Dr. Hannah from the dental halter the entire time.  At this point, after 3 years dealing with Ms. Annie, we just have to laugh at her antics.  She’s such a good girl most of the time, but she knows what she doesn’t like and throws some pretty impressive temper tantrums.  Afterwards she was so relieved when Dr. Hannah left her stall, and she lowered her head and put her head in my chest, sighed deeply and closed her eyes and just let me rub her forehead while I soothed her emotions and her ego by telling her what a beautiful girl she is.  She is such a diva!

Lastly, a not-so-good update on Tia.  As I mentioned in my last update on Tia, she was very nervous and worked up yesterday when I went to visit.  In fact, while Dr. Hannah was at our farm working, she received several calls about Tia from her farm help at NWESC. They thought she was upset because the other horses were out so brought another horse in across from her that she could see. That seemed to settle her for a little while but then she got worked up again, for no apparent reason.  She was excited when I was there, pacing and calling, and they had taken her blanket off earlier because she had worked herself up to a sweat.  When Dr. Hannah called me last night to give me an update on Corona, she told me she was very concerned about Tia whose behavior continued to escalate throughout the evening even as other horses were brought into their stalls.  She finally gave her some Ace which did settle her down.  However, she is very concerned about the anxiety for no apparent reason and took bloodwork on her last night.  One possible cause for unexplained anxiety is liver failure, and another is a brain tumor (such as Cushings).  Neither are very good possibilities, so I am anxiously awaiting an update this morning as to whether or not Tia was calm this morning after the Ace wore off or if she was again agitated, and also waiting for the results of the bloodwork.  Hopefully I will have a more positive update later today.

Here are a few photos however of Annie, Dexter and Lexi getting their dentals!  I also had to include a photo of Dr. Hannah’s “dental assistant”, her 1‑year old daughter Heron, who was so cute in her SAFE purple colors!

Corona Update Feb 11 2011

Dr. Hannah finally got a chance to look at Corona last night.  She has not yet spoke to the vet who treated him previously (hopefully will do that today) but her overall impression is that it is “not too bad”, despite how bad it looks.  She was not able to get his penis out completely and did not want to sedate him because of his condition and until she spoke to the other vet.  She was puzzled about the sutures, which seem to have been put in place to keep him from dropping his penis.  She went ahead and removed them and a bunch of pus came out.  However, from what she could feel there are some lacerations but nothing horrible.  She drew bloodwork on him and wanted to check that and speak to the other vet before starting him on antibiotics (she is also concerned about the diarrhea) but is pretty optimistic on his recovery.  She also took a fecal sample and he’ll get lice-dusted today.

Corona — Initial Intake — Feb 10, 2011

Corona is a coming 10 year old bay Reg. TB gelding (registered name “Triple Copy”), 17h who was surrendered by his owner to a private individual who then surrendered him to SAFE.  As we understand the situation, the owner had fallen on hard times and the horse has an injury to his penis she could not afford to treat.  She had advertised him on Craiglist as a free horse, and when a private individual contacted the owner about the horse, she freely admitted the horse was in very poor condition and required care she could not afford to provide.  The private individual contacted several rescues, and we agreed to take the horse and Dr. Hannah Evergreen and Northwest Equine Stewardship Center has agreed to take him into her rehab facility and provide the care for his injury.

We’ve been told that 3 years ago this horse was winning shows all over Canada in the A‑Circuit 3′6″ Jumper division and has extensive training.  The cause of the penis injury is unknown, at first she mentioned the vet speculated that it was due to a protein deficiency, but then she mentioned that there might have been a kick and there are stitches visible.  A vet has seen the horse recently (it seems that this may have been prompted by Animal Control who was on the property recently but as the other 3 horses on the property were in good shape and were getting fed did not take further action), and we will be contacting this vet to get more information about the injury and treatment that has been provided.   The penis is very swollen and oozing and he does seem to have trouble urinating, only able to squeeze out a thin stream of urine which seems to cause him some pain.

Other than the penis injury, the horse is also extremely thin, with a Body Condition score of, to my best guess (the vet will confirm), around a 2–2.5.  His feet are atrocious, low heels, horrible long flared and dishy feet with big chips in them.  He has one minor injury that looks fairly old to his right front heel bulb that has some proud flesh, but other than that his legs are visually clean and he appears sound despite the poor feet.   He looks like he has had chronic diarrhea for a while as it is caked on his hind legs and in his tail.  He has a small amount of rain rot but not bad and was wearing a (much too small, size 75!) blanket.  I also suspect lice as he was very itchy, did not see any but did not spend too much time looking as he will probably get lice dusted as a precaution anyway.  He loaded and hauled really well, has extremely good manners despite being nervous in a new place, and he seems very sweet.